Saying Goodbye to Bryant, Joy for the Journey

Some thoughts on the road of healing after the loss of my 14 year old son by suicide

My Photo
Name:

Wife... Mother... Lover of Jesus... Freedom Writer!

Thursday, July 20, 2006

On being me and Good medicine

For the most part, for as long as I can remember I have been pretty comfortable being me. I'm friendly, caring, fairly intelligent, possessing "a few" admirable qualities. Now I'm not puffed up. I've never thought I was all that but I haven't ever suffered from low self esteem either. Even though I had childhood "issues" like not feeling as pretty as my sister, I think I've always known somehow that " God don't make no junk."

But there are definitely some things I would change about myself, both inside and out, if I could. I'd change my acne prone skin, my flyaway hair and those darn overactive fat cells of mine in a heartbeat! Then there is the matter of my natural personality that tends to lean towards the serious side.

I'm not exactly a scrooge. I do know how to smile and laugh and have a good time. I think I just don't go there enough. I didn't grow up with an abundance of humor. My mom was a single parent and our life was greatly about her making ends meet. There were happy, fun moments I'm sure but this wasn't the status quo for us. And true to form I pretty much followed the pattern and became a serious mom. My hubby is the funny one in our house and I confess I've spent many a day not appreciating his humor. I don't know how many times over the years I've said the phrase "Don't be silly." My focus at home has been largely on caregiving, teaching, training, and takin' care of business. I've had it mostly covered ... except for the laughter.

I have a young friend, a newlywed ( Mrs. M) who is a riot. The girl is hilarious. I love spending time with her ; she just cracks me up. She has such a flair for finding the humor in everyday situations and sharing the smiles. My sister is also a silly one. We've shared hundreds of inside jokes but she's 900 miles away and we don't talk nearly enough. Laughter is good medicine. It's free with unlimited refills. I just figured out I want all I can get!

So today I have a new day's resolution. I'm gonna laugh! I'm gonna aim to be silly and get a big dose of Heaven's good medicine. I'm gonna get in the floor with my husband and toddlers and play tickle monster. I'm gonna make it my business to see the lighter side of life and have myself a good hearty fun-fest.

"He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy." Job 8:21
________________________________________________

PS
I got my first opportunity to test out the goal of the day. Travis and a friend worked all day on Tuesday to clean our pool. ( It went uncovered all winter and looked like it was holding swamp water.) They had made good progress. Last night we had another friend here to help and it looked like we were on the way to a clean pool in a few days. This morning we got up to find the pool bone dry. It's empty! A pipe came undone overnight and the water completely drained. The serious Sharmayn would have been so frustrated but what can you do about it now? So yep, I just had myself a good ol' laugh.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Madea is DA BOMB! (karen r-b)

21 July, 2006 07:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sharmayn, I love the you you are, but I do pray about that hair thing. I'm happy about your new commitment to laugh more. I must confess I'll miss the look on your face when you try to hold it back and it bursts forth anyway. That is classic Sharmayn, to know you want to laugh and watch your face try to hold it back unsuccessfully. I hope you get that pipe fixed.

23 July, 2006 21:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you my sweet older sister!!!! Or, did we decide that you were one of my spiritual mothers?? Not sure, maybe my wiser, more mature sister in Christ. I love you and wouldn't trade all the water in the fountain of youth for you friendship (smile). Anytime you need a good laugh...I'm here..I love you and Mr. Collegeville!!

10 August, 2006 17:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home