Saying Goodbye to Bryant, Joy for the Journey

Some thoughts on the road of healing after the loss of my 14 year old son by suicide

My Photo
Name:

Wife... Mother... Lover of Jesus... Freedom Writer!

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Murphy's Law and other applicable cliches

Well I wasn't expecting to have an opportunity to write today for several reasons.

1. Our air conditioning unit is on the fritz and it was 472 degrees inside my house today. ( Actually it was only about 85 until we got a nice, much needed rain. It's now about 7:45 pm and we have the windows up , ceiling fans going and the thermostat is right now reading a cool 81.) A service man came and worked several hours this afternoon only to discover that he needs to replace coils that have to be ordered. So he'll be back tomorrow.

2. Virtually everything else that could have gone wrong, did.

I won't bore you with the details. Let me just say that "when it rains, it pours". "If it's not one thing, it's another"... " No pain, no gain" ... "The road to success is always under construction"... " For crying out loud", "this too shall pass." "It could be worse."

Now I'm smiling as I write this because today was really... well, crappy. I mean the day wasn't crappy because it was a day the Lord made. But the events of the day were all around, pretty crappy.

But you can't keep a good woman down ( definitely not one who knows the Lord). OK, maybe just long enough for her to get a good night's sleep. After a day like today this good woman is gonna take a load off her feet and get some shut-eye. Just between you me and the fencepost, tomorrow is another day. By the grace of God I'll arise in the morning bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to face another day.

And that's the long and short of it. ;)

Oh.
I did have a special moment in all the chaos of today. I have a cousin who is a singer in the group of a well known contemporary Christian artist. I 'd never met this cousin but I knew who he was. His dad and I are first cousins. His grandfather and my father are brothers. Until this summer I did not know my cousin sang with this well known artist. I was invited to a concert (of said artist) in May by a friend and during the concert, when the artist introduced his group I recognized my cousin's name. After the concert I wanted to get a note delivered to my cousin but I ended up getting a chance to go backstage and meet him. It was so great to meet him. He's about 10 years my junior, married with a young family. I talked to him about our family here, his southern roots, told him briefly about Bryant ( this was about 6 weeks after he'd died.) We talked about 15 or 20 minutes and exchanged phone numbers. I've thought of him often but we hadn't spoken again... until today. Out of the blue he called to say he had been thinking of me. It was such a blessing to hear from him. One of those "God-incidences" (instead of coincidence) that reminds you of God's kindness in the midst of the madness.

Hugs and good night.

2 Comments:

Blogger rena said...

I like your attitude. It's contagious...and speaks of a strong faith and sustaining joy that nothing can touch, though it comes close. There's a big difference happiness and joy...and you have a deep joy.
That's cool about your Godincidence too. Good word.
May you arise bright eyed and bushy tailed tomorrow and enjoy your day.

11 August, 2006 16:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And one more cliche' that I heard from Pastor Judy Graham - "Great day in the morning time!" Sounds like something my granny would say. It was so good to see you yesterday. Your babies are so precious - even your 17 (18?) year old! I continue to keep you in my prayers. You are a very special lady! ...karen r-b

14 August, 2006 13:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home